- Year: 2020
- Duration: 105min
- Certificate: TBC
- Type: Film
David Byrne’s American Utopia at Hudson Theatre in NYC played to sold-out, record-breaking houses. The show saw Byrne team with 11 musical artists from around the world performing songs from his 2018 album of the same name, along with classics from Talking Heads and his solo career. The show drew raves for its design, musicality and political urgency – covering democracy, black lives matter, civic and cultural engagement – and Spike Lee proves the perfect cinematic foil as director, keeping the approach spare and focussed but never two dimensional. This is a joyful, charged, musical ebullience onstage/screen, while the iconic director behind the camera lens also lends another layer to the show’s strong political relevance. [Advised Cert 15]
Warning: this film contains strobe lighting.
A pre-recorded introduction will begin at 8.15pm promptly, There will be no adverts before this show.
The 64th BFI London Film Festival in partnership with American Express is all across the UK, inviting you to experience the world’s best new films wherever you are. Enjoy 12 days of UK premieres online via BFI Player or in cinemas throughout the UK - and also join us for a range of free-to-access digital events, XR and Immersive Art and more.
Booking note: to enable us to maximise the space available in screens whilst observing social distancing, please consider booking in pairs and groups where possible.
WHAT PRECAUTIONS IS BROADWAY TAKING?
We want you to have the safest experience possible at Broadway and have put in place the following measures:
- Implemented allocated seating and reduced capacity in each screen to allow for social distancing. Tickets purchased online and in person will automatically block two seats either side of you and/or your group. We have also blocked every other row in all screens
- Changed our air conditioning to 100% fresh air circulating from outside of building
- Installed hand sanitising stations at entrances, exits, outside screens and at multiple points within Broadway
- Staggered film times to allow for social distancing and safe entry and exit from the building
- Increased cleaning times in screens and across Broadway
- Provided staff with new branded uniforms so they are easily identifiable, and visors/facemasks and PPE in order to carry out their tasks safely
- Reduced the number of tickets customers can book in one transaction from 10 to 4
- Broadway staff will be asked to declare at the start of each shift that both themselves and members of their household are symptom-free
- Installed perspex screens at all point of sale
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
You have your ticket and you're ready for the big screen experience, but before you arrive we ask that you adhere to some general house rules to keep yourself, staff and your fellow audience members safe:
- Please do not enter the premises if you are experiencing one or more symptoms of COVID-19
- Please arrive at the time of your film screening so we can adhere to social distancing guidelines
- Please wear a face-covering across the venue unless consuming food/drink in screen as per government COVID-19 secure guidelines*
- Please adhere to social distancing within the venue (keep an eye on those markers!)
* Allowances to be made for those under-11, unable to due to a physical or mental illness or impairment, or disability as described in government COVID-19 secure guidelines
ARE YOU SERVING FOOD AND DRINK?
Our Cafebar and Mezz Bar are currently closed for refurbishment. Unfortunately, this means we are not serving food (no pizza for now!) but we are undertaking a table service for drinks only on our terrace. We also have mobile bars outside each screen serving a limited number of alcoholic, non-alcoholic drinks and concessions.
WHAT ABOUT THE TOILETS?
Toilet facilities are available at the front of Screen 1 (with disabled facilities at the back of the screen), and further toilet facilities available outside Screens 3 and 4, and on our ground floor.